Let's talk branding
Byron Sharp - How Brands Grow
In this episode, I talk with professor Byron Sharp from the Ehrenberg-Bass Institute at the University of South Australia. We talk about the science behind branding, how to build distinctive brands and we debunk some myths around positioning. Byron brings some surprising views to the table so buckle up!
We talk about:
- Byron’s book: How Brands Grow
- If it’s not about positioning, then what should you be doing as a strategist?
- How can you build a loyal customer base?
- Small brands VS. big brands.
- How do you push through and become a brand people recognize?
- How do you become distinctive?
- What are the reasons for a re-brand?
- How do you know what distinctive assets you have?
- “The real world is a weird place.”
- “Some things are much more important than we thought.”
- “All brands are smaller than they want to be.”
- “If you’re only on one channel, you are going to be smaller.”
- “You know what you can touch and what you can’t.”