Let's talk branding
Stef Hamerlinck - The End of Positioning
In this solo episode I share my insights about my conversation with Byron Sharp. Is positioning useless? Do we need to define personality? What is the actual use of a ‘brand purpose’? I challenge my own thinking but also deliver some critical notes about Byron’s views.
We talk about:
- Loyalty: how important is it as a brand strategist?
- The true way to build loyalty and, more importantly, your income.
- If you want to re-brand, you need to do it for the right reasons.
- Distinctiveness versus uniqueness.
- What is more important than adding meaning to a brand?
- What is your brand’s purpose?
- Is being small okay?
- “Loyalty is not the holy grail of branding.”
- “The bigger you are, the more loyal customers you’ll have.”
- “Just adding meaning won’t help.”
- “Branding is really about repetition.”
- “Just having a purpose won’t get you extra sales.”