Let's talk branding
Wouter Sel - Brands In Motion
In this episode I talk with Wouter Sel, co-founder of Volstok, an award winning animation studio. We talk about the intersection between motion and branding, the return of the mascotte and much more. How we can create brands that are moving, breathing things that connect with their audience. Enjoy!
Bio: Wouter Sel started out as an animation director, until his ambition took over and Volstok was founded with Thijs De Cloedt. Pretty soon the studio was producing intriguing animated content for TV and advertising. Today, Volstok is translating bold ideas into creative animations, producing memorable impact frame by frame.
We talk about:
- How Wouter’s studio grew from nothing to a success.
- His biggest struggles with expanding.
- A typical project for Volstok.
- Instagram story animations.
- How animation and video relates to branding.
- Translating the identity into animations- the steps to take.
- Should you go for a mascot?
- Mascots are not there only to be recognizable: they bring stories and value to people.
- How the field of branding is evolving.
- The benefits of saying no more often.
- Animated logos: how will they evolve?
- What the future holds for Wouter Sel and Volstok.
- Check out an example of the mascot animation here.
- “That’s our goal. To create awesome shit.”
- “We get to really listen to our clients.”
- “Video is everywhere.”
- “Brands are really pushing boundaries.”
- “There are no restrictions anymore.”
- “What would happen if you could step into a drawing?”
- “We’re not innovators. We’re storytellers.”
- “We know where our expertise lies."
- ‘Go for what makes you and your client happy.”
- “What do you want people to see when they think of your brand?”
- “Value and premium doesn’t need to be expensive.”
- “Take a leap and do something exciting.”
- “There’s no better time than now.”